Today is Columbus Day, a state and federal holiday that commemorates the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus' Oct. 12, 1492, landing in the New World.
In recent times, Columbus Day, which was designated a federal holiday in 1937, has become a day for many to celebrate their Italian-American heritage. For the majority of Americans, it also means a day off from work or school.
Here’s information about East Windsor, Hightstown, and Cranbury closings today:
- All federal, state, and local city and town offices are closed.
- Most banks are closed.
- All postal offices are closed and mail will not be delivered.
- There is no household garbage curbside pick-up in East Windsor or Hightstown. Garbage will be picked up on the next regular pickup date.
- In Cranbury, Central Jersey Waste, Midco Waste, and Waste Management do not have Columbus Day listed under their holiday schedules and therefore should collect regularly.
- All branches of the Mercer County Library System are closed, including Twin Rivers, Hickory Corner, and Hightstown Memorial branches.
- Cranbury Township has scheduled its township committee meeting for tonight at 7 p.m.