Update: East Windsor Township Municipal Offices will be closed on Tuesday.
Hurricane Sandy is bearing down on the area.
Here is a list of things that have been canceled or closed so far in East Windsor, Hightstown, and Cranbury. This list will be updated, so make sure you check back for changes.
- Non-essential Hightstown Borough services will be closed Monday and Tuesday. This includes tax collections, W&S collections, construction/code enforcement office, bulk pick-up, other day to day public works functions, the court office, and registrar services.
- East Windsor Township Municipal Offices will be closed on Monday and Tuesday. This includes the Municipal Court, the senior center, and senior transportation services. Those wishing to reschedule court dates are asked to contact the municipal court on Monday at 609-448-3228.
- There will be no garbage collection in East Windsor on Monday and Tuesday. Officials ask that residents do not put any garbage out during those days. Monday's collection has been postponed to Thursday, Nov.1 and Tuesday's collection has been postponed to Friday, Nov. 2.
- All Cranbury Town Hall Offices will be closed on Monday.
- Peddie School has cancelled classes on Monday and Tuesday, and the admission office will also be closed. Peddie plans to have a slightly delayed opening on Wednesday morning. Classes will begin at 9 a.m. in order to give returning students an opportunity to get back to campus. The school has asked parents to use their own best judgment as to whether it will be safe for them to be traveling and returning students to campus Wednesday.
- Approximately 150 boarding students remain on campus. They will be required to stay indoors after 1 p.m. Monday to ensure their safety. Wendi Patella, the school's director of publications and media relations, said Peddie has plenty of food and supplies and backup generators to ensure the well-being and safety of the students, faculty, and staff who remain in campus.
- The school encouraged parents of boarding students to pick up their children Sunday afternoon. "If hurricane Irene, as well as the last few days, are any indication, the students who remain on campus will most likely be out in force helping with the cleanup efforts in the community throughout the coming week," said Patella. Families with tours and interviews scheduled are asked to call the school after the storm to reschedule a visit.
- East Windsor Regional Schools, offices, Kidcare and Turning Point will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Cranbury School will be closed on Monday and Tuesday. Additionally, the Cranbury School Halloween Parade, as well as all afternoon and evening community trick-or-treating in Cranbury, has been postponed until Friday, Nov. 2. "Safety is always our first priority and this decision was made in the best interest of our children," said Cranbury Township Police Chief Rickey Varga. As a result, Jamfest, scheduled for Friday evening, will be rescheduled. Additionally, the Basic Skills parent presentation and school play parent meeting scheduled for Monday evening will also be rescheduled.
- Rutgers University, Fairleigh Dickenson University, Rider University, and Mercer County Community College will be closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Princeton University and Middlesex County College will be closed on Monday.
- All Mercer County government offices, including Mercer County Courts, will be closed Monday.
- Knowledge Beginnings Child Development Center in East Windsor is closed Monday. They encourage all families to check the center's voicemail for information about Tuesday.
- The Cranbury Public Library is closed Monday and Tuesday. They hope to reopen Wednesday, pending no issues with electricity.
- The Cranbury Bookworm is closed.
- Teddy's Restaurant in Cranbury is closed. They plan to reopen Tuesday at 6 a.m.
- Tavern On The Lake in Hightstown is closed.
This information is taken from township and borough websites, submissions, facebook posts, twitter feeds, Nixle, and from direct contact with officials.