Make a deliciously hearty and easy soup with turkey and corn leftovers mixed with tomatoes, beans, and warm southwestern spices.
- 1 pound leftover turkey, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup leftover vegetables from thanksgiving dinner
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup of left over corn
- 1 cup diced fresh avocado, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
In a sauce pot, combine turkey, onion, vegetables, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and ground black pepper. Stir and add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn and beans. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour.
When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with avocado and cilantro. Garnish soup with lime wedges. Yields 4 servings.