Officials are warning residents of a strong storm that could bring near record low temperatures and snow to the area through Saturday.
The Marlboro Township CERT has issued a warning and JCP&L as issued a statement saying it is prepared for the storm and that residents should visit its website for updates on outages.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning from 6 p.m. tonight (Thursday, Jan. 2) through 1 p.m. Friday. The area can expect between 4 and 6 inches of snow, beginning with rain or rain or snow this evening before changing to all snow later.
Roads are expected to become hazardous with temperatures falling through the 20s. Winds will increase and snowfall rates cold be near an inch per hour at times. Overnight, temperatures will fall into the teens, with wind chill near 5 below zero.
Winter Storm Warning is in effect for every New jersey county, except for Cape May County, where a Winter Storm Advisory has been issued.
“We will start to feel the impacts of the storm during the late afternoon and evening commute, from north to south. Overnight conditions will be quite dangerous due to wind chills, high winds, falling show and blowing show. The lowest wind chills in 5 years will be experienced Friday into Saturday.
NJOEM is asking people to take the following actions:
- Please share this information widely, also communicate this information to those who are not engaged with social media.
- Check on elderly or disabled relatives and friends, or those who are isolated, during this time period.
- Continue to monitor NWS forecasts.
- Engage with County OEM Social Media and other alert systems where you live and work. Links here: http://www.ready.nj.gov/about/association.html
JCP&L announced that it is fully staffed and prepared to respond should shortages occur as a result of the storm. The statement said additional personnel were on standby and ready if needed.
To connect with JCP&L during the store, see below
• JCP&L smartphone app (iPhone and Android)
• Online at www.jcp-l.com
• Text OUT to 544487. If you are not enrolled in texting, text REG to 544487 to get started.
• Call 1-888-LIGHTSS (888-544-4877)