The Route 33 bridge project scheduled to start Thursday has been pushed back until next week, according to the New Jersey Department of Transportation.
NJ DOT spokesman Joe Dee said the contractor is still ordering supplies. The anticipated start date is July 5.
Dee would not elaborate on the details of the project or detour, stating a press release would be issued early next week with more information.
Last week the Borough Council established a seven-ton weight limit for the bridge, between Stockton and Franklin streets, through resolution for the duration of the construction.
Large trucks will be kept on major roads, and those over seven tons will not be able to access the downtown, said Borough Administrator Michael Theokas.
over the bridge during construction, and a detour would be in place for truck traffic.
Westbound truck traffic on Route 33 and trucks exiting the turnpike at Exit 8 will be detoured on Route 133 west to Route 130 south, merging back onto Route 33 west in East Windsor, . Trucks going east on Route 33 south of East Windsor will be detoured to Route 130 north, then to Route 133 east, connecting to Route 33.
that the project, which will reconstruct the protective wall on the bridge, repair sidewalks along Route 33 and improve the drainage on each side of the bridge, should take three to four months to complete.
In August 2011 the bridge sidewall buckled during Hurricane Irene, allowing water to pour into the downtown.